Posting Title: Men’s Basketball Graphic Design Intern
Department: FNATH (Intercollegiate Athletics) – Men’s Basketball
Appointment Type: Volunteer (May 2015 – April 2016)
Schedule Type: Schedule is flexible, but position will have mandatory office hours to be set with the supervisor
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA).
Description of Position:
The University of California Athletics Department is looking to hire a volunteer Men’s Basketball Graphic Design Intern; this individual will work on the marketing and promotions of the Cal Men’s Basketball program and events through graphic design work. This position reports to the Men’s Basketball Director of Operations. The selected candidates will learn how to develop and implement graphic design materials for a variety of purposes for Cal Men’s Basketball.
- Work with operations personnel, including creative services and marketing teams to learn how to follow proper Cal Athletics branding guidelines.
- Creation of graphics for internal and external promotion of Cal Men’s Basketball for print, web, and social media.
- Aid Men’s Basketball staff with planning and analyzing team’s graphic design needs.
- Ability to work in a time sensitive, team orientated environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage projects from concept to creation.
- Past-experience and mastery of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Ability to accept feedback as part of the creative process and educate clients on design theory and/or use that feedback to improve design skills.
- Very organized and has good attention to detail.
- Available to work a consistent schedule set between individual and men’s basketball office. Will have set office hours (+20hrs/week) within the Men’s Basketball office – schedule to be determined with supervisor.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Hands on experience at a Division I college athletic program.
- Behind-the-scenes access to Cal sporting events.
- Networking opportunities with different departments, directors, and staff.
THIS IS AN UNPAID INTERNSHIP – OPTION TO RECEIVE COLLEGE CREDIT, HOWEVER, IT IS NOT REQUIRED
Please send a cover letter, resume, and sample of previous graphic design work submitted as a single PDF attachment with your application to California Men’s Basketball Director of Operations Marco Harris at [email protected] with subject: Men’s Basketball Graphic Design Internship.
For more information on our department, please visit www.calbears.com. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.